Monday 6 July 2015

Book Review: Pure Colour by Jane Cumberbatch

 
 
 
 
 
Some styles just stand the test of time, don't they? Endure the changes, remain steadfast amongst the whims of fashion. It's all well and good to be 'on trend', but that can soon become tiresome, and if like me, you don't want your home to be a carbon copy of everyone else's, perhaps 'on trend' isn't for you either.
 
I've always been a great admirer of Jane Cumberbatch's style. Over the years I've collected many books on interiors, and many of those have ended up on the shelves of charity shops. My Pure Style and Pure Style Outside books, which I purchased in 1996 and 1998, however, have remained, still on my shelves, still picked up, still relevant. Still pure.
 
So when I saw Jane had published another book, Pure Colour, I couldn't wait to get it...and it doesn't disappoint. Every image is amazing, I've said it before on here, but colour really does touch my soul.
 
I've loved flicking through its pages, reading the words. Jane guides the reader through a variety of colours, bold, calm, energising and harmonious. She explains how she uses them, giving help and advice.
 
My own use of colour is purely instinctive. I don't understand the science of colour, but I do know what I like to put together, and how this affects me. I couldn't live without colour in my home, it wouldn't feel like home.
 
I absolutely LOVE this book, and I'm sure it will remain on my shelves for many years to come. Unfortunately I don't think my images really do it the real justice it deserves, perhaps one day I might learn how to use it properly!
 
Oh, and one more thing...it has bold pink edges, that alone is worthy of a purchase don't you think! In my opinion EVERY book should have colourful edges to its pages!
 
 
 
How cool is that!
 
 
Hope you all have a great week, I've a little more time now, so hope to visit more of your blogs this week, see what I've been missing!
 
 
Amanda :) xxx
 
 
 
(p.s. I wasn't sponsored for this post!).
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

18 comments:

  1. Great new book! Such eye-catching images. I, too, am a colour addict and I try to add as much of the "bright stuff" as I can to our home. That is why I like your blog so much - so much colour! It lifts my spirits, guaranteed!
    www.queenbcreativeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colour really does lift the spirits doesn't it Bronyn ;) xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation - that book looks fab :)
    Fiona - Lucy's Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Lucy, it's a great book! :) xxx

      Delete
  3. Such a great book and wonderful images, the pink edges to the pages are lovely. I don't follow fashion trends either, I like the colours and items in my house which inspire me and with which I feel comfortable.
    I love seeing your kitty at the end of each post, she is so beautiful and photogenic.
    Happy week!
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink edges are great aren't they Dianne, inspired! :) xxx

      Delete
  4. I love Jane Cumberbatch's work. I have her other Pure Style books, so I'll definitely be looking out for this. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Pure Style on my book shelf which. like you, I often flick through for inspiration. I will look out for Pure Colour as I must admit to finding colour just a little scary .... the pink edges are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be scary, start small and who knows where it might take you! ;) xxx

      Delete
  6. Wow this book looks just as good as the other ones I have on my book shelf too! I shall have to look out for this too.Although she doesn't" write many posts she has a blog twhich contains lovely ideas too. Sarahhatne has a lovely blog too. Sarah x














    Our

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've popped over to her website too...fab garden! :) xxx

      Delete
  7. Oh that looks like such a feast for the eyes - right up my street! I couldn't live without colour either ;) Thanks so much for sharing xx PS apologies if you receive this comment twice - wasn't sure if the last one posted...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That book looks fab, I like to have things I like in my home rather than what is in fashion too, it makes me happy. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a fab book. In fact I may have to see if I can pick one up for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like it Annie, certainly from the perspective of colour variants, it's a feast for the eyes :) xxx

      Delete

Hello! Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts and messages with me. I read each and everyone and will try and answer any questions as quickly as I can! :)x