Monday 11 July 2016

A Picture A Day...12

 
 
 
 
My dining room.
 
1. Blue School Cupboard. Holds LOADS of junk, therefore I can give the impression of being a tidy, organised person. Purchased from a great little shop Hen House in Southwell. Just the best blue.
 
2. Various Jugs (on top of cupboard). Picked up over the years, from various charity shops. Oh and there's dust up there too, not vintage, only about 3 months old ;).
 
3. IKEA Clock. I've had this 16+ years. I really like some of the IKEA staples, good design, and at reasonable prices.
 
4. Medical Cabinet. Soon to become gin bar ;) Picked up from Victoria Antiques. Expensive, but worth it. But then, so am I.
 
5. Yellow Coffee Pot. Also from VA, cheap as chips. Just LOVE the colour.
 
6. Vintage School Map. Another find from VA, again cheap as chips, fell head over heels in love with it. Love it. We've had some great dinner conversations about it. Not great for teaching kids geography, our county borders have changed, good history lesson though. I REALLY love this map.
 
7. Kitchen Table. From Habitat, over 20+ years ago. Comfortably fits 6, you can squeeze in 8...we've had more, don't ask me how. Assembled by myself and my sister, late one night whilst husband slept soundly upstairs, we might have been a little tipsy, amazingly it is however level.
 
8. Ercol Chairs. eBay find, little squeaky but otherwise great. Youngest daughter complains they are hard. She needs more padding, I never complain they are hard ;)
 
9. Laminate Floor. Hate this, really hate this, done as a quick fix 14 years ago...yuk. Will cost a fortune to put right, the floor is uneven, and the floorboards rotten. Note to self, stop buying junk, and save to replace floor ;)
 
 
I think you can safely say I'm not huge fan of new furniture. I prefer to mix it up a bit. Old and new. What you would expect in a dining room, and what you wouldn't. Can't beat a bit of eclectic. Will be back tomorrow.
 
Have fun...
 
 
Amanda :) xxx
 

 

34 comments:

  1. I love your room and map was a great find. I have Ercol chairs and round table in my kitchen and a settee and armchair (that have seen better days) my daughter keeps on about me buying new but I just love them. They were brought at a charity shop and a car boot, the whole lot for under £100 many moons ago.
    Enjoy the day,
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You find older furniture is much better made anyway, sometimes they just need a bit of tlc ;) xxx

      Delete
  2. lovely to hear where all the bits and pieces came from, could do with a table like yours, the cupboard must be so good as you say fr storage and hiding things away, when I moved here it was all laminate flooring except for kitchen all gone now apart from box room. The kitchen is tiles hate them they are so so cold would love some lino well posh lino but will have to make do with what I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time we just went for the quickest and cheapest option...life then get too busy and now just thinking about the mess puts me off, never mind the expense! ;) xxx

      Delete
  3. Love your cupboard and map they are great.
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, think they are some of my favourite pieces :) xxx

      Delete
  4. It is a lovely eclectic mix of things! I think I like them all! Our Ercol chairs squeak too. I sit on one to record my podcast and it makes some terrible noises sometimes which I really could do without!!! Hope you can get the floor sorted one day. A real wood floor would be lovely wouldn't it. Enjoying your daily posts even if I don't always get a chance to comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We moved from a home with the most amazing wooden floorboards, these ones have just been butchered over years of bad diy jobs, they would all need replacing I'm afraid...need a lottery win! ;) xxx

      Delete
  5. Your dining room looks like the place I could spend hours in, enjoying the simple beauty! Wonderful room!
    Anna xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautifully put together, you have a good eye. I'm a big fan of old maps too. In fact now I'm picturing one on the wall behind my dining table... Which is an Ercol one, bought with four chairs for £100 many years ago. I love older things too. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I moved from an old cottage with amazing built in cupboards, 20" deep. I miss them so much but have been inventive with some bits of furniture that I picked up from an auction reject shop. Nothing over £30 and most around £10. Love that cupboard, both for size and colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh those old built in cupboards are lovely aren't they :) xxx

      Delete
  8. I just love this room! And I am so envious of that map...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoying seeing your home, you have such a beautiful one x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like most houses there's some nice aspects, and some not so! ;) xxx

      Delete
  10. Nice to see your daily pictures!
    Big hug,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh and I was giggling over the putting together of the table :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn, I just make it up as I go along! ;) xxx

      Delete
  13. Love this room! The blue cupboard and the map go so well together!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, it's a lovely calm shade, perfect for this space :) xxx

      Delete
  14. I always enjoy seeing pictures of this room, it's very calming and restful x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a good eye! I love old stuff too, mixed in with a bit of Ikea (I don't have the budget for 100% vintage, sadly)...
    Tipsy is also the best way to put up a tent, I've found.
    As for the floor: we have laminate in the dining room but it's actually pretty convincing. The newer stuff is much nicer than it used to be. Or maybe get a big jute or seagrass rug?
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The newer laminate is much nicer, like the idea of a jute rug...think Otto might too though! ;) xxx

      Delete
  16. I love your dining room. The blue cupboard is so beautiful. It is a bit like that in our house. Not that is looks like is, but we also have and love the mix of old and new. Makes it our home.
    Love,
    Mirjam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It good to mix things up, stops it being boring ;) xxx

      Delete

Hello! Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts and messages with me. I read each and everyone and will try and answer any questions as quickly as I can! :)x