My Mantel today, from left to right...
1. A set of whimsical books from the 1950s. My friend picked these up for me from a 'posh' jumble sale she goes to. It's run in a very nice village, everything is very cheap and you get some good stuff. The titles and contents of the book are extremely sexist, of their age really. They go against all my feminist beliefs, but they look good. There you go, I'm fickle and shallow ;)
2. A Woman's Portrait. I looked for years to find her, every second hand shop, flea market, and antiques place. My friends would ask me what exactly I was looking for, I said I didn't really know, but I'd know when I saw her. I saw her on eBay, and knew she was the one. I think she looks like my mum when she was younger, my girls say she looks like a strict teacher. My husband says she follows him around the room, (my Mum always did love him). I think I'm the only one who's really comfortable with her, I'm ok with that ;)
3. Big Dachshund, Little Dachshund. I saw the big one at my local antiques place for just a few pounds, the day after we had met Otto. He's from the 1950s I think, I wrapped him up for my husband. He says he's much quieter than the real thing, I can confirm that, as I'm sat here writing this, Otto is barking at all the school children. The little one, probably of the same era, was given to my by my lovely friend, I think they go together well.
4. Little Tealight. I've had this for years, it reminds me of a holiday we had in India. We stayed in a palace in Rajasthan. It was magical. Truly magical.
5. Venice Oil Painting by Spencer Churchill. Painted in the 1970s I believe, by the grandson of Winston Churchill. Given to me by a very good friend for my 50th birthday. I love it. I love Venice. I was lucky enough to to share a few days with my very good friend in Venice this year, we wandered the streets and drank champagne in a bar. She fell in love with Venice too. Venice is a place associated with romance, yes of course it is, and one day I hope to take my husband, but it can also be a place you share with your very good friends.
6. Empty Bottle Of Bombay Sapphire Gin. I sat in the sunshine one evening sipping this, lovely. I think it may have been the only dry evening we've had so far this year ;)
7. Midwinter Coffee Pot, circa 1970s. Again a jumble sale find, given to me by my very good friend. She knows me well. I'm lucky to have some excellent friends, with excellent taste ;)
Have a very lovely Monday, the sun is out here, I'm making the most of it!
Amanda :) xxx