Monday 20 May 2013

Garden Joy!

 

 
Well, my garden has certainly woken up....a bit later this year, but she's awake and ready to play! Only I'm not. Try as I might, I've just no energy to play.....very frustrating!
 
I love my garden so much. This love was passed down to me from my Mum, who always took great pride in her garden. When we were growing up she had very little time, but always managed to keep the garden looking fab. She'd get up extra early, before anyone else was up, be out there, weeding, planting, growing veg and colourful flowers.
 
 
Then, when I got a garden of my own, Mum had retired and she was able to show me what to plant where, we would visit gardens together, nip out to the garden centre, make a few purchases. I really miss my visits out with her.
 
There's one little independent garden centre we both loved. We used to call it Rapunzel's Garden, its in a small walled garden and has a tower. Even now if I go, I have to take a deep breath before I walk through it's huge gate. Try hard not to remember how excited Mum got when she saw the rows of plants. It's still painful sometimes to do these things without her.
 
I still tell her all about my garden when I go to see her, I chat away, tell her what's in bud, rack my brains thinking of the names of plants and flowers. Telling her, if she was able to, she'd tell me their names...no problem!
 
I remember how sad she was when she got too frail to garden, we dug up the borders, put down gravel and put plant pots around. I would help her to pot up the flowers each season, water them, mow her handkerchief lawn.
 
She loved my garden, she loved to see the changes I was making, she was so pleased that I loved to garden. Big Sis loves gardening too, she came to help me the other day, her garden is only small, so she comes over to mine to help me.....it's lovely to garden with someone again!
 
 
This is my Morning Bench, it's where I can sit in the morning sun, I've got an Afternoon Bench....and an Evening Bench, I'm a bit like my cat....always find the best spot to rest! My bench has, until this weekend, been in a patch of weeds! But not anymore! Mr Bea has put it on some slate chippings for me. One little bit at a time. I can't do big garden stints anymore. Just a bit at a time.
 
I need now to fill the little patch behind it with plants, but instead of visiting the garden centre I'll be seeing what I can move, divide or beg from my friends! All part of the new frugal me!
 
All these photos were taken yesterday, the sun was shining...it was warm! Today it's grey and cold again so unfortunately I won't be drinking a cup of coffee on my Morning Bench!
 
There's so much to do but I've got to turn a blind eye to some areas...
 
 
This is my 'veg' patch, there's 4 of these, all looking neglected, last year they were full, and yes the slugs were having the time of their lives eating everything I put in, but they looked great! So I'm hoping I can get a little energy from somewhere even if it's just to plant up a couple!
 
Anyway the cat has the right idea....
 
 
Don't stress, if the weeds bother you so much, just sit on them!!!
 
Thank you, as always for your brilliant comments on my last post, I'll have to show you my wallpaper collection soon! Anyway...things to do, not in the garden, but parcels to wrap and post!
 
And talking of parcels, I've been given a lovely, lovely parcel....will share soon!
 
Bye for now,
 
Ada Bea......Garden Lover! :) xxx
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

36 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you not being able to enjoy the garden pleasure with your mum still but you have fond memories which are really important :-) You have some colourful plants and your chair is really pretty. Enjoy it even if its just sitting in it :-) dee xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty garden and such lovely memories of sharing it with your Mom. I spent time with my Dad in his garden yesterday just chatting and pottering. He too has dementia it's such a terrible illness my thoughts are with you ... Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden blooms look gorgeous Ada. Would love to see some more pics of your entire garden, such different scenery from my subtropical world. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ada
    What lovely pictures.
    I can sympathise - my Dad has just passed away - he had Alzheimer's, but various infections were really what his body couldn't deal with. I haven't really wanted to do a blog post about it, although I may do a life celebration post at some stage. All the family are sad but also relieved that we were all spared the worst of the disease.
    It is so difficult to deal with, but you are doing an amazing job.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, I know you will have already grieved for the lost of your Dad but I would imagine its still very difficult when they physically leave you too. My thoughts are with you, take care :) x

      Delete
  5. Your garden is looking beautiful. Sorry to read about your mum. My Gran had Alzheimers. Such a difficult disease for the person and family around too. I think you have to remember the person before they changed. But there were still things Nan enjoyed when she was ill - every journey was somewhere new (it wasn't!) and the look on her face wher eating an ice cream cornet was wonderful. It was a small comfort during a very difficult time. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your garden so pretty, Slowly but surely is how the garden grows anyway!

    I am awaiting seeds to bloom at the moment with my garden and no veg patch yet. I am hoping I am not too late. It all looks rather bland out there at the mo here. Come on sunshine do your magic.


    P x

    ReplyDelete
  7. if its not too difficult, please could you tell me how you do the mosaic for your photos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just downloaded the Diptic app on my iPad, very easy! :) x (not sure though if its just for iPads!)

      Delete
  8. ~ Dear Ada, each morning I walk through the local park to work...I used to visual Mum walking with me and seeing all the seasons change... ~ she taught me also about all the wild flowers and always had little flowers in tea cups on displays...I only have a small forecourt, so loved seeing pictures of your pretty garden....Just this morning, Mum's Lily of the Valley has broken into flower, which is lovely... I like how you described your self, like a kittie finding the best seat always.....hehe! With kindest thoughts....Maria x Take care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Ada, I love your pictures ... the peony is absolutely ready to POP!!

    I love that you still share your garden with your Mum, by telling her all about it, but also that you remember the good times spent with her ...

    Take care Ada ... love your blog with a passion!

    Thanks for popping over to me before

    Claire xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. My parents were always great gardeners too. People would stop and take photos of it when it was in full bloom in the summer months or when it was a good year for the massive magnolia tree that they had out front (the one I named my blog after!) When I finally got my own garden, I walked around it very early in the morning to see how each plant was getting on. I still love it now.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful gift your mum has passed on to you and your sister - a love of gardening. It was so great to be out there yesterday but the weather has sapped my enthusiasm today - those lettuce will have to wait! Love the idea of your different benches - hopefully you'll back out on one again soon x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden is beautiful and what sweet memories with your mother!! Those are treasures!! Wishing you a lovely week Ada! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. how lovely...you may have inspired me to get up and out and do a few hours! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful flowers in your garden! Good thing your mother shared her wisdom about plants and gardening with you:)
    All of a sudden we got some really warm and sunny days up here - spring was like summer:) So I have been busy gardening this holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your garden looks gorgeous! I dream of peonies.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your garden looks beautiful "blooming" with colour. When the weather gets better for more than one day i'm sure you'll get your energy back x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photo mosaic of garden plants looks like a vintage sheet patchwork! So beautiful...hold the precious memories of gardening with your mother close to your heart - they will get sweeter with each passing spring, and what makes you feel melancholy this year could warm you with a smile the next. Nature heals us, and you have made a beautiful space to call home! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mum memories... so lovely. Take care Ada xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pictures, I love the mosaics you have done.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a pretty garden Ada ... you certainly seem to have greenfingers ... beautiful blooms ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your garden looks perfectly beautiful! I am sorry your Mother isn't physically there to share it with you. My daddy and both grandfathers were great gardeners, too, I I'm sorry they can't see mine. Still, they all live on through their wonderful horticultural advice!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely garden memories with your Dear Mum. Love your garden bench and the weeding tip from the cat! I could wipe out quite a few that way! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a lovely array of plants and some beautiful picstures,

    ReplyDelete
  24. When my dad was alive he was the best vegetable grower I knew, realise this now in my garden cannot grow half the stuff he grew with ease x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how these little passions we have get passed on from generation to generation. I have the same passion and its been in our family for two generations. I love the fact that you could share something so beautiful as gardening with your mum. I always think of gardening as a form of art and your little mosaic tiles epitomises just that. Creating with nature is something so special and it's so enriching for the soul. I'm pleased to hear that you still cherish those memories with your mum and I'm sorry you can no longer share them with her in person but she continues to be in and around your garden through spirit and that is what makes life so special. A beautiful post from a beautiful garden xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful! You're a very good story teller lady. Your garden looks sublime.
    Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's hard gardening sometimes when it brings back such painfully happy times. I remember shortly after my mother died and I sat in the backyard (it was springtime), and it just brought me to tears seeing all her transplanted flowers coming into bud. You have a lovely spot to create in Ada, and your mom probably loves to hear about your garden even though she can no longer express it to you. Such gorgeous shots of your flowers! I love the delicate lines of your bench, and I can just picture some of your fantastic vintage sheet cushions setting it off perfectly ;) the rock chips underneath give it a great foundation. I do gardening in bits and pieces too ... I set a goal and get it done and while I'm working on that I see other things that will be attended to next. Some of the goals have to wait until another year ($$), but it's so satisfying when they're completed. Thankfully the weather cooperated with me this past week and weekend. Hugs to you across the miles! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your garden looks wonderful, like you I love gardening and have been picked it up from my parents too. Having spent years being more adventurous we are now trying to make our less labour intensive. Like you we still have the good memories of gardening while in our prime and with loved ones.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Ada, such a sad but sweet post. Your mum sounds amazing. My mum loves to garden and knows the names of everything - I would be so sad if she couldn't share that knowledge and passion with me anymore.

    Your garden looks beautiful, so full of colour, and I love your idea of different benches for different times of day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous! I do miss my garden despite all the mad wonderfulness here.

    Eleanor xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the fact your Mum used to get up early and go and garden. It inspired me to go and hoe my vegetable bed, so what if it was 9pm! I miss days out with my Mum too. Heather X

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely photographic patchwork.
    Boxes posted, you'll see they're considerably larger than your wardrobes...I rest my case. EE xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely memories Ada! I wish I had time for all this gardening lark... I find it so relaxing reading about others green fingers ;) Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a lovely post. It must be so hard for you not to be able to share your garden with your Mum anymore. My Mum is teaching me so much about gardening as she knows so much and has had a beautiful garden for as long as I can remember. I love the fact that your Mum got up early to keep the garden looking good. So inspiring. I should do that really. Get out their when the boys are still sleeping. Thanks for sharing your precious memories with us. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts and messages with me. I read each and everyone and will try and answer any questions as quickly as I can! :)x