Thursday 30 January 2014

The Colour Collaborative: January: Woolly

 

 
 
 
A whole new world has opened up to me.
A whole new world, full of the most amazing colour combinations. A whole new world full of the most scrumptious patterns and designs. A whole new Wonderfully, Wondrous, Woolly World.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I grew up surrounded by this world, but I never really saw it, never really appreciated it. It must however, seeped into my subconscious.
 
You see, my Mum was a knitter. There was always a knitting bag filled with a few balls of yarn, enough perhaps to complete her latest project...no more, no less.
She didn't do this......
 
 
 
 
Stockpile shelves full of yarn, revel in their deliciousness, line them up.....
 
 
 
 
Fill baskets full of yarn.......just because!
 
 
 
 
 
Oh no, just enough balls to complete the project, and that was that, as I said no more, no less.
 
 
 
 
 
 
But I do remember those trips to the Wool Shop. Oh my, I loved those trips. I can remember them so well.....they are imprinted in my mind.
The wool shop was really just a little terraced house, it's front room converted into a shop space. I would run on ahead, pushing open the heavy blue painted door.
Inside I would stand in the middle of this little room, looking at the rows and rows of colourful yarn. Shelves stacked high to the ceiling. It really would take my breath away.....exactly as it does today!
 
 
 
 
 
Now I was a child of the '70s.....gosh those colours, the purples, the oranges......I'm sure there were the more muted colours in there too, but my memories are of those popping, bursting colours.
 
 
 
 
 
Every Christmas Santa would bring new dolls dressed in woolly outfits, knitted by Mum. Then there were the clothes. I distinctly remember matching little pink dresses and cardigans, that she knitted for my sister and myself.
We must of looked wonderful in our matching outfits. There was however, a fine silver thread woven into the yarn, oh so itchy! (Please knitters out there, don't put your children in knitted outfits where there's a fine silver thread woven in the yarn....)
 
 
 
 
 
 
I never learnt to knit, I never sat alongside her and learnt this skill. And sadly, as she got older, her hands could no longer hold the needles as arthritis set in. But I do remember the joy she had in her knitting, and making things for her family.
 
 
 
 
Over the past year, after much sweat and tears, I have taught myself to crochet. And that my dear readers, has opened up a whole new world to me......full of the most amazing colour combinations. A whole new world full of the most scrumptious patterns and designs. A whole new

Wonderfully,

Wondrous,

Woolly World.


 
 
 
I love...
 
 
 
Love...

 
 
Love...


 
 
 
This Woolly World!
 
 


 

Thank you so much to The Colour Collaborative, for asking me to be one of your guest bloggers this month. I am very honoured. In true Vintage Sheet Addict style, I had no idea what I would write until I put finger to iPad, I hope you're not disappointed!
 


 


If you would love to read more about The Colour Collaborative you can visit....



 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bye For Now,
 
 
 
Ada :) xxx
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

48 comments:

  1. I love your Woolly World and think we must be neighbours as I live in Woolly World land too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I come and live in your colourful woolly world please? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to have you join us for January and I love your wonderfully colourful post. Especially that one with the ends of the yarn balls on stacked up on top of each other, yummy! I love your description of the childhood visits to the yarn shop, I feel exactly that way now too :)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping over, you on my blog list now so I will drop in and see you lots! :) x

      Delete
  4. Your Woolly World is fantasic Ada! For someone who has only been crocheting for a year you put the likes of me to shame(lol)! You have produced some very beautiful work and you have a very good eye for colour too ~ Thanks so much for sharing all those blankets and yummy baskets of yarn :O)xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ada! I love your colourful woolly world so much and am so grateful that you share it with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your wooliness!!!! (and your blog!! I'll be back!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you've only been crocheting for a year Ada! You have done some lovely work! Love your colours - especially at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, I never thought I'd get it.....still working on following a pattern though! :) x

      Delete
  8. Marvellous, happy post! Oh, those juicy colours, how do you do it? They just all look so wonderful together, and your crochet is impeccable - surely not just one year! What talent! Chrissie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, all of it! How could we be disappointed?? All that colour. You may not knit, but your Mum's love of yarn lives on through your love of crochet and you are nurturing a great skill. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post! Every single one of those colors yells, Happy. It is no wonder we love this woolly world. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will pop over at the weekend, your blog looks great :) x

      Delete
  11. lovely post and amazing pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so colourful and your pieces don't look as if they have been created by a beginner.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty and happy post, true to form. We love that you love it as we get to see lots of pretty eye candy. So lovely to be hooked to something so pretty! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Second time around for me today! Just noticed that fabulous pink sheep in the first picture ~ I love it. Can you let me know where you got it as I'd love ond for myself. Not that I really need anything else woolly, but a girl can never have to much! :O)xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From a little shop in Derbyshire, I'm sorry I can't remember the name, I'm not sure when we will go again but I'll get you one if you like :) x

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! If you ever go again I'd love a little woolly sheep, but don't worry if you can't manage :O)xx

      Delete
  15. What a lovely post, and how nice to see you as part of the Colour Collaborative. I used to love watching my friend's mother and also my grandmother knitting when I was little. They were never without their wool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is so much wonderful, woolly goodness in your world.....*big sigh*

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aaaaahhhh after a hard day's work...and popping in for a moment into my blog to get a refill of crafty delight.....this post fills my eyes!!! I'm practically drooling at the sight of all this yarn glory!!!
    No beginner now Ada!!

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woolly rainbows ... the very best kind! Such wonderful colours here, and the joy you find in yarn is palpable. Have you thought of learning to knit ... you could double the fun!

    (Of course we are not disappointed ... we all love your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking me Annie, I've really enjoyed doing this! :) x

      Delete
  19. I am glad that you have found this woolly world of crochet and in such a lovely colourful way, I hope that you keep enjoying it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. These colours are so uplifting and you have made some fantastic items. I was taught to knit and crochet by a great Aunt but have only returned to it recently and the pleasure it has given, not just in the making of a something, but in the joy of the colours has been enormous. I've also gained new friends through a Knit and Natter group so this whole wool thing is more than the sum of its parts. I also love the reference to scratchy knitted items - I had one or two of those. Now I test all yarn for softness against my neck before buying! Thanks for the lovely post, Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Your posts are always bursting with color! It is a wonderful, happy place. My mom was a knitter and my grandma did crochet. She would crochet slippers for us that were deadly on hardwood floors! LOL! But my fondest memory is the girl with the crochet dress which would cover the toilet paper roll! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a colourful blog you have shared today, so much crochet you have done and love your little woolly sheep on the first picture

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's beautiful Ada, every single ball and picture of yarn in every shape and form.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  24. ada its a beautiful rainbow deliciousness fest of epic proportions! Found a beautiful card today that reminded me of you...so i defo need your address now! <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've taught myself to crochet too! Goodness knows what I will do with all the blankets but I'm loving making them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a gorgeous woolly post, Ada Bea....certainly not disappointing in the slightest! Your real love of colourful yarn (and having learned how to crochet with it) just shines through! You also have a way of finding the most beautiful woolly colours and then taking lovely pictures of them :)
    Happy weekend!
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a gorgeous selection of colours, and they look so well made. I have still only made one square (a good coaster!) but I hope when I have more time I will start where I left off.
    I have kept a crochet waistcoat made either by my mum or my nan in the 1970's. I can remember my mum wearing it. Luckily it didn't have any lurex in it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful post:)) I love your colourful world.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such beautiful colour it's so wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  30. Colour me wonderful my woolly friend xox

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a marvellous post! I too remember trips to Honora in Christchurch to buy wool and watch it magically transform into something warm and woolly! Love your wire lockers as storage-genius!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Welcome to our world Ada, I have just finished a man blanket in 14 different stitches which I posted yesterday. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ah - your wire crates packed with gorgeousness are a sight to behold! (And they remind me of schooldays, jam-packed with skipping ropes and grubby rubbery quoits!) Your crochet has really taken off. I don't think I will ever get round to learning but I do like to admire from my little corner of Blog-land!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a wonderful, colourful, cheerful, crochety, blankety post! How lovely that your new world of colourful crochet brings back so many happy memories you shared with your Mum - now you know how she must have felt with her knitting!
    Thank you for sharing with us your happy makes and memories Ada.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your woolly world is fabulous Ada ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. The little pink woolly sheep is too tooo adorable! Loved the peak into your wonderful world of wooly colors. As always i enjoy my visits here :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a wonderfully woolly world of wonderfulness! Say that a few times!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I grew up around sewing machines and didn't learn until I was 30. Never too late, I say :) I love all this gorgeousness - beautiful combinations.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts and messages with me. I read each and everyone and will try and answer any questions as quickly as I can! :)x