Tuesday 15 April 2014

In My Head, I Had A Plan...

 

 
 
 
I bet you've done this haven't you? You get an idea in your head, the way you want things to be......but things don't always work out quite as you envisaged!

 

 

 

 
 
 
In my head I thought our trip to London would have been an exciting addition to our previous experience, a few more museums to visit, a boat trip perhaps.

 

 

 

 
 
 
This time however, well lets just say it's not quite what I had planned in my head. Being parents is a balancing act, being parents of Extra Special kids is like walking on a tightrope.
 
 

 

 
 
 
Sensory overload, stress and melt downs. When you care for a Rainbow child (ASD) you have to weigh up everyday experiences with great care. The absolute need to Keep Things Exactly The Same, verses the responsibility to give you children new experiences, prepare them for adulthood.
 
How many time as parents do we say, 'it will be a new experience for them, push them out of their comfort zone...it will do them good'. As I said, tightrope walking!
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
There were some good moments though....
 
 
 

 

 
 
 
Greenwich being one, what a beautiful place...open spaces, much more relaxed, much better.
 
 
And what amazing views over a truly amazing city. I love this city very much, my next trip however, will be an adult only affair!
 
 
We've been very busy since we returned, rooms are being decorated, and another anniversary....27 years married!
 
 
 
 
 
 
We celebrated with a very rare 'child free' night, bottle of champagne and The Good Life DVDs, we know how to live!
I'm waiting for my anniversary present to be delivered as I write this, I'm ever so excited! I do hope it arrives.
 
I hope to pop over and visit you all this week,
 
 
Bye For Now,
 
 
Ada :) xxx
 
 
 
 
 
Suitcase full of vintage sheets.....found when clearing out the conservatory, I'd completely forgotten about them.....sign of an addict? :) xxx
 
 
 

 

20 comments:

  1. oh ADA this reminds me of a boat trip down the thames being kicked in the head by Tilly! she friggin pushed me off the tightrope that day! big hugs, you know i get it don't you! grab the good bits and bravo you did it anyway....worse that tightrope falling is never stepping onto the rope! champers and goodlife dvds sounds awesome! send me your address please....your waiting pressie can be an anniversary gift. love and hugs xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it didn't go as planned, Ada, but I'm glad to hear there were good times too. Happy anniversary! 27 years is a wonderful accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry your trip didn't work out the way you had hoped, Ada. I think I would find London a stressful/sensory overload environment so I can't begin to imagine how difficult it must be for you to get the balance right for your family.

    Congratulations on your anniversary! That's an impressive number of years. Hope your anniversary present arrives safely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheets = yes, probably a sign of an addict, but there are a lot worse things you could be addicted to than sheets!!
    Trip = glad that you had some good moments, sad that you had some not so, but it looks as though you did masses from the pictures!
    Anniversary = congratulations all the way, no ifs ands buts or maybes, just congratulations to you both and best wishes for many more happy years to come. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the holiday endurance test...I gave up once my two were teenagers, they preferred to be with their friends and so did we! At least it's good to be home. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary, and what a joy to find the suitcase! I love serendipitous things like that! Glad you had some special moments on London; the pics of the preloved items are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you found the good in your trip to London Ada, it can be very overwhelming and exhausting yo say the least. Look forward to seeing your anniversary pressie ;o) take care and I hope there us plenty of time for relaxation in the rest of the Easter holidays xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, we also put our feet up with a Good Life DVD last week, so sad! And we've only been married 14 years.... Keep trying with your trips out, there is something to be gained by every experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy happy Anniversary Ada!!!!!
    xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  10. a shame the trip was not the success of the last one, but there were good times and those are the ones to remember. Congratulations to you both on your wedding anniversary. Lots of nice sheets in that forgotten case.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary, you have some lovely photographs of London even though it did not all go to plan...

    ReplyDelete
  12. London is indeed an exhausting place and can cause sensory overload as we discovered again last week ... so nice to visit but so good to get home again too! M x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, and a very Happy Anniversary to you both! M x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary!! Lovely photos and glad you did have some good memories, which are the best! xo heather

    ReplyDelete
  15. The best plans often go astray especially with children. Glad you had some good moments. Congratulations on your Anniversary that sounds a perfect way to celebrate! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary Ada! We have a special anniversary in July and are hoping to go to London ... It is very exhausting though, and we are going child free, so I admire you immensely. I always have a vision of perfection in my head, of how things are going to be and they very rarely turn out like that! When will we learn haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photos are wonderful and happy anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your anniversary, it was our 28th on the 12th and we spent it the same way as you, but who needs expensive meals out, champagne a nice meal and a dvd...perfect

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for the 27 years! That's almost as long as us. But I'm guessing you didn't start married life with a honeymoon baby! (My grandmother went to her grave convinced we'd married because I was pregnant, but we announced the date in the February, got wed in the September - I was at uni so the long holiday was our best option - and Tom was born the following June, when I should have been sitting an exam! ... for my gran to be right I'd have had to be an elephant!)

    Nuff about me though ... I think you are awesome to even attempt London with teens/tweenies, ASD or not. And look at all these pretty pics. Go you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What is that about Londen? I planned a trip with My ADD kid ( then 12/13 years old) from Holland to Londen. Mother and son qualitytime i thought. I could adjuist to his ritme and intrest, instead of the whole family ritme. From the first second at the airport it went wrong, walking on the rope.... It thought O My,is this the beginning of puberty? My son is 17 now and hè is doing fine. Hé is helpfull and we Love to watch movies together a lot. But going to Londen again....now way :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts and messages with me. I read each and everyone and will try and answer any questions as quickly as I can! :)x