Monday 29 August 2016

Down The Garden Path...August

 
 
 
Oh my goodness, August already, this year is running away, far too fast! It's been a hit and miss kind of summer here in the UK, but in the last few days of summer, the heat has arrived. Sunny and warm.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My honeysuckle has started to flower, it's romping away. Initially I was really happy with my wiggly box hedge, but as the summer has progressed, I'm thinking it's missing something. Colour, height, interest.
 
 
 
A few of the boxes aren't in the best of health, they seem to be prone to disease and just aren't growing, so out they will come. I just love the Agriframe arches, so shall get two more, put one half way down the path, and another at the bottom of it. Now that my pension pot has been spent I'm afraid I have got to do what I've always done before, and save. Yuk. Can't tell you how lovely it's been just to get something straight away. Anyhow, I'm back in the real world...maybe Santa will bring me one ;)
 
 
 
I will grow something beautiful and colourful...and scented, up and over the arches, then train them along the fence. It will give me something pretty to look at as I'm drinking my morning coffee on the bench.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The raised beds on the top garden have been wonderful. Some of the plants are going over, I've chopped a few back, and got a couple of extra autumnal plants to plug the gaps. The sweet peas are now blooming, it's took some getting there. It's been a little too crowded, so I will need to rethink next year, and perhaps a little too much verbena, so friends will be getting some freebies again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The vegetable garden has just exploded this month. It's done far better than I could have imagined. My Birdie Garden Products raised beds look beautiful, well you can't really see them anymore...and the no dig method, really seems to produce great compost, to grow vegetables in.
 
 
 
The cutting patch has produced countless bunches of flowers, I've given away so many, as well as having vases full in the house. I've really, really enjoyed growing my own flowers this year, it's not something I've really done before, but I will again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I've been buying from Sarah Raven too this year, and I've been really impressed with the quality. They are on the more expensive side, so I don't think I will be getting as much next year, but I think Munckin Pumpkins have been superb, and the Zinnias...amazing! I've had a few plants from Rocket Gardens, they are a great company, and the plants have grown beautifully. I would really love one of their mini constant gardens...hmm, birthday pressie perhaps?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My sunflowers are at least 9ft tall, I want to save some of the seeds this year to eat, as well as sow next year. I'm not sure how's best to do this, does anyone have any tips?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Watering hasn't been too much of a problem this year, we've had plenty of rain, I always fill up my watering cans when it rains, then once a week I've been feeding the pots and beds with comphrey tea, they seem to be appreciating it.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I've not really been supporting my plants very well, as you can see the raspberries have flopped. My last bit of pension pot has gone on a sturdy frame for these, hopefully in the September update I will be able to show you. Monty Don pruned his summer raspberries this week, so I think I know what I'm doing!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Yes everything is growing at a rapid pace. I've had very few weeds in the raised beds, which has been fabulous, it's making gardening very easy. Exactly what I had hoped for. My thoughts are now turning to Autumn, it will be sad to see some of these plants die, but that's the circle of life really. That's what gardening is all about. We plant, we tend, we harvest. Thank you garden, for bringing me such joy.
 
 
 
So jobs for September:
 
Continue to harvest and eat!
Decided on which fruit trees to plant, Autumn is the best time to plant bare rooted trees, which will be more cost effective too.
I'm going to get a few Autumn crops to grow, probably buy some plug plants, just so I can keep gardening through to Christmas. I'm really feeling the benefit of gardening, physically and well as mentally. Sadly I won't have my greenhouse to hide out in during the colder months, but I still need to be out in the garden as much as possible.
 
 
 
As usual, I'm joining in with Sarah, and quite a few others, hop over for a look if you get the chance. I've been sent a couple of free things from some lovely bloggers this month, so will share them later in the week.
 
 
 
Amanda :) xxx
 
 

 

26 comments:

  1. You have an amazing garden, your hard work has paid off I really love the idea of a cutting patch, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been great growing flowers to pick and not feel guilty that you're taking them away from the garden :) xxx

      Delete
  2. I was having a rough day. I "popped in" here and my soul was soothed by your photos. Thank you for the loveliness. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I've just had a very bad night, this comment has made my day, thank you! ;) xxx

      Delete
  3. It all looks wonderfully productive, you have done so well, it really looks a beautiful place to sit in x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's all looking absolutely amazing out there, a real triumph. I've been enjoying having a few cut flowers lately as well, I'll keep growing them too. I shall look forward to seeing your raspberry frame. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CJ, I'm hoping once the raspberry canes are ties back there will be enough space then to put some of the strawberry plants in front, it's only a narrow bed but get lots of sunshine :) xxx

      Delete
  5. It all looks lovely. I grew some Cosmos this year but they are not as tall as your plants. Have had several cut flowers from them but the stems are short. I was given a small hexagon jar with marmalade in, now it is empty it is just right for the flowers. Hope you are not too hectic with getting ready for school returning, this summer holiday seems to have shot by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like the shortest summer holidays ever, I'm sure we've forgot something vital ;) I've been amazed by how tall they've got, must be down to the fab soil in the raised beds :) xxx

      Delete
  6. Wow, how beautiful your garden is!! So many gorgeous flowers and vegetables. You must be so proud of this all. Just love the Zinnia's and the Sunflowers.
    I have enjoyed looking into your garden so much.
    Love,
    Mirjam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't zinnias the most amazing flowers, I'd never even notice them until this year, I will be growing the next year that's for sure :) xxx

      Delete
  7. I can imagine how relaxing and positive for mind is drinking coffee on the porch! You made a good work there!
    Ciao,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very, very lucky to have this space Miriam :) xxx

      Delete
  8. I've not been blogging through the summer, and to see how filled in your gardens have become is amazing! You've really softened up the lines with the tubs overflowing with beautiful flowers ... love the cosmos! I'm glad you've been able to enjoy the gardening again with your new beds and lovely retreat. Enjoy your week!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Wendy, I'm loving it- it's feel so good for gardening to be a joy again, instead of a burden :) xxx

      Delete
  9. Dear Amanda your garden looks fabulous, overflowing with beautiful flowers, vegetables and fruits, a delight to see and beautiful Minnie of course.
    Hugs, Dianne
    xoxoxo ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dianne, we don't see much of her during the summer! :) xxx

      Delete
  10. What a lovely place you have created. I had to giggle at your pumpkins though, My "courgettes" seemed to be taking their time this year so I decided a bit of closer peering was needed. Then I noticed the large ROUND green things the "courgettes" were producing! Oops bit of a seed packet mix-up I think. Oh well pumpkins it is then hehe. Enjoy the rest of the summer in your stunning garden x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might hav the same, I was given a pumpkin but it looks like a round courgette! ;) xxx

      Delete
  11. Your garden has flourished and everything has grown so well. It looks so beautiful you must be so proud of what you have achieved. I too find Sarah Raven's recommendations so good. I do look to see if I can buy the varieties she recommends locally. I do however treat myself twice a year to something from her catalogue. I wouldn't be without a cutting garden either. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great idea, I will see if I can find things cheaper...those catalogues are very tempting aren't they! ;) xxx

      Delete
  12. Your garden looks like it is flourishing! I have never tried Zinnias but I've seen some of your photos on Instagram & they look lovely. Your verbena & sedums look great too, the bees love them & they flower for ages 🌱🌱🌱

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The double zinnias are amazing, the bees are loving the sedum, I've not seen hardly any butterflies this year though :) xxx

      Delete

Hello! Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts and messages with me. I read each and everyone and will try and answer any questions as quickly as I can! :)x