Sunday 21 August 2016

Sea Remedies...

 
 
 
We've just returned from a week on the North Yorkshire Coast. An absolutely stunning coastline, lots of interesting little seaside towns, slotted into the rugged coastal edge. Most days were spent beach combing, breathing in the restorative sea air. I'm sure this air helped me climb the steep hills up and down to the beach. I really must live by the sea, is it the enzymes that float in the air, or the salty smell, the sound of the calming waves? I'm not sure what it is, but it does make me feel stronger, that's for sure.
 
 
 
The week before we went was extremely stressful. I can't go into the details here, but I was literally at the end of my tether. All my energy had been spent and I was a gibbering mess. We almost cancelled our trip, as I felt I couldn't sum up the energy to go. My body felt completely out of balance, MS lurking just a whisper away, waiting to strike. I knew if it did, it would be a huge blow, the sort that would knock me to the ground, and put me out of action for a long time. It's done it before, I know just how aggressive it can be. It's a dangerous place for me, my body needs to stay balanced.
 
 
 
I gave myself one last push, and a blooming good talking too, and finally managed to get everything ready. Normally I'm very organised at holiday time, this year I packed late, we left very late, no plans, nothing. When we reached our lodge it felt like a warm, cosy blanket had wrapped itself around me. It was set in a beautiful little wood, at the end of a very quiet campsite. My body took a deep breath. Perfect.
 
 
 
Our little holiday wasn't all relaxing, it had more than a few dramas, my complicated little family is never without its stresses and strains. Mixed within the dramas however, were some perfect moments, of calm and peace. A cup of morning coffee out on our deck, just listening to the birds. Watching the campsites chickens forage. I am always particularly calm as l stroll along the waters edge, looking for sea glass. Yes, I really must live by the sea. It does me good.
 
 
 
Otto really enjoyed his first holiday. Yes he was travel sick but that improved as the week went on, he was however the noisiest thing on the campsite! He loved walking along the beach and as long as the waves weren't too big, he would run after stones we threw in for him. He just loved meeting the other dogs, and got lots of attention from passerby.
 
 
 
Yes, all in all, just what the doctor ordered. I now feel more balanced again, it feels good.
 
 
 
Hope all is well with you too,
 
Amanda :) xxx
 
 

 

26 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your break.A change of scene does you good.I love being by the sea too.Barbarax

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely break, hope you are fully refreshed, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful that your getaway proved refreshing, Amanda. I have the same thoughts about the seaside & wonder why I've never sought it out to call home. We are getting a time away soon & it will be by the water. Otto's cheeky close up expression was a treat to see, sandy nose & all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought I'd retire by the sea, not sure that will be possible now so will need to ensure I get my seaside breaks. He always seemed to have a sandy nose! ;) xxx

      Delete
  4. Looks so beautiful. Yes, we are so lucky to live in such a Beautiful country.... glad that you managed to conquer your MS and enjoy your holiday. Family time is so pretty precious. Children grow up before you know it.
    I love your blog, thank you so much for sharing your life.

    Hugs
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you had a good time and all went reasonably well. I did think of you the other weekend when my husband and I had lunch out. Most places had their shutters open and tables outside, we sat in by the open window and just outside were two ladies with their dogs and I hoped so much that you would have been doing similar. Take it steady now although I know that is easier said than done with the run up to schools returning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison thank you so much that you thought of me, I've relaxed as much as I possibly could this holiday and it's really done me good. My husband is off this week too which is really helping as we are sharing the parenting and housework! Have a lovely week :) xxx

      Delete
  6. Relaxed and recharged!?
    Big hug,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw I'm sorry you had such a crappy time before your holiday and glad that you listened to your body. There is something wonderfully restorative with being by the seaside isn't it , we live about 30 minutes away from the Welsh coast and try to fit in a day trip when we can x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there is something in the sea air that helps, not sure what the science behind it is though, lucky you to live so close to the sea! ;) xxx

      Delete
  8. Hi Amanda, hope you're well. Still loving your pics and thanks for our mention again �� Btw where is the lodge you stayed in? It looks lovely and my mum and dad in Whitby find it hard to manage us all staying. Thanks and best wishes, Emma x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, hope all is well with you. The lodge was in Ladycross campsite, at Egton, 5 minutes drive from Whitby. It was amazing, I could easily live in one. If we can ever afford an extension, I'm going to ask Trev to design us a wood one! ;) would wholeheartedly recommend this Emma, a very relaxing space :) xxx

      Delete
  9. North Yorkshire has that effect on me too, theres just something about the coast up there that keeps drawing me back year after year.
    Take care.
    p.s Ive been meaning to say for ages now, your garden looks amazing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm really pleased how it's turning out. The Yorkshire coastline is beautiful isn't it, I'm hoping for many more trips there too :) xxx

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear that both you and Otto enjoyed your holiday.

    We retired to live on the coast and had a wonderful ten years there but have returned to be nearer family. The travelling to and fro to visit became too much for arthritic old bones. They came to visit us too but once we'd got a grandchild we felt too far away.

    Where ever you live it soon becomes easy to take your surroundings for granted, however much you think you won't.

    I think we need to really make the effort to appreciate just what we have, our morning coffee might not be whilst looking at the coastline but we're still so fortunate to be where we are with what we have.

    I hope you're able to relax and keep the laid back vibe, after all as you say there are some stresses to be endured where ever you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words Jan, there are many who would give anything to live where I do, it's very easy to take what we have for granted :) xxx

      Delete
  11. What a lovely post - I used live on the coast and now live near a big lake, while the big expanse of water has the same effect on me, the ocean is different and so much better in a lot of ways.

    Did you take some crochet with you for your early mornings on the deck? Your coffee and crochet would be my tea and knitting - always good to recognize what is good for our souls - right?

    Glad that you got away ..... knowing what a good thing it was for you to get away is it not possible for you to perhaps book a weekend a way on a regular basis? Don't know how far the coast is for you or if it's even doable.

    Love how your garden has grown, those Cosmos plants are amazing! Be kind to yourself especially when life starts to get out of control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes I did take some crochet and managed a little. I'd love a weekend away, I'm not sure if it will happen this year, but I'm nothing if not hopeful! ;) xxx

      Delete
  12. I have enjoyed looking at your holiday photo's so much. I know now that I must visit that part of Yorkshire someday. I just love everything of England, for as far as I have seen it. We've been to the Lake District and Yorkshire last year, to Devon en Cornwall a few years back and I know for sure that we will be back some more... Also Schotland and Ireland are on the top of my list of all time favorites...
    I am glad you had such a great time during your vacation and that you were feeling so well and so strong because of the sea air.
    Thank you so much for taking us there...
    Love,
    Mirjam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mirjam, I think Britian has some amazing landscapes, if we could match it with a good summer it would be fantastic! ;) xxx

      Delete
  13. I'm glad the sea air did help to restore your spirits and make you feel stronger. Otto does look as if he thought the sea was fun too! I have seen this part of the North Yorkshire coast featured so many times in blogs. One day we hope to visit there. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts and messages with me. I read each and everyone and will try and answer any questions as quickly as I can! :)x